Monday, July 15, 2013

Sunday, July 14

Oh - I forgot to write one thing about yesterday's visit to Inverness. When we parked the car for dinner, I was trying to fit the car into a small spot on the left hand side of a one-way street. I had trouble getting the angle into the slot right and was going  up on the curb. About that time, a van pulls up opposite me and 6 young women with short dresses and high heels start getting  out. As each got out of the van, there was a lot of leg. Then, a guy in a car comes up and wants to get through. To say the least I was distracted and was having problems focusing on my issue and trying to do what Linda told me to do until the girls left. The guy was patient and just shrugged his shoulders. I finally left one wheel on the curb and  went  to dinner.

Today was rest day, no car. We did  our wash, read, Linda drew, we sat by the pond and watched the ducks and sea gulls (yes, we have noisy sea gulls here) and generally went slow. We soaked up the sun. We're getting tans. Did not expect that in Scotland.

Linda cooked chicken and vegetables for dinner and we watched BBC history programs on Queen Bodica ( fought the Romans) and the evolution of Grand Prix racing during the 50's, 60's, and 70's. In the early 60's, no seat belts, just regular clothes and leather helmets. A lot of drivers got  killed. The track stewards were never ready to respond to crashes and lots of guys burned to death. Interestingly, some officials thought that was all part of the charm of the sport.


No comments:

Post a Comment