Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Sunday, July 6 - Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Sunday - It was sleep in time this morning after staying up for the game last night. Stayed around the house and later went down to de Lindenhof (one of the very few places open on Sunday) for an espresso.

Interestingly, about every third day there will be a large late 50's or early 60's American sedan parked on the main street of Soest or driving by us. Its usually a Buick or Chevrolet or maybe even a Cadillac. You know - those whales with fins that wouldn't fit into people's garages. We saw a 1959 Chevrolet on the lot of a car dealer down the street in perfect condition. They wanted over 11,000 euros. There must be a niche market for these things. They are certainly a contrast with the mini cars that go by with scooter engines in them. BMWs, VWs, and Volvos seem to be very popular here. And some are convertibles.

Today was sports day beginning with the British Grand Prix. Louis Hamilton won by a mile. The contest was between 4th and 5th place. I think Vettel was one of them. We spent the rest of the afternoon watching Djokovic beat Federer in the Wimbledon finals. Djokovic is strong and Federer is old, but Federer just won't give up - took him to 5 sets.

Monday - We got to work today - vacuumed, washed clothes, mopped, cleaned bathrooms, and mowed the yard and Linda did some gardening. Wow!! are we good. Then we shopped for dinner. We really like the butcher shop and the owners recognize us and are very helpful. I bought a chicken breast wrapped in bacon with a red sauce over it and Linda got lamb pieces on a stick. While I was at the butcher, Linda was at the fish monger buying paling (eel). They filleted it for her and we snacked on it with onions. Its mild and a nice appetizer. I also bought some bacon pieces that we fried and combined with watercress and dandelions. Very good.

We're getting in the habit of watching movies on Netflix: romantic comedies, period pieces, and TV shows like Mad Men and Orange is the New Black. Of course, we only watch this stuff if there is no soccer game.

Tuesday - It was good that I mowed the grass yesterday because a weather front has descended on us and it was rainy all day. 

I had an appointment with the osteopath down the street. Linda had gone to her last week and suggested I visit her too. My main complaint was my overall stiffness and she worked on that and my walk. Everyone always works on my walk. She spent time working on my spine and ribs. Did you know that ribs are supposed to be flexible to help the organs move around inside? I had never heard that. I felt better afterwards.

Instead of going out for an espresso, I made a small pot of coffee. Good - we may do that more often. Later, we decided to have some carpaccio at the DLC cafe at the train station. We went out even though it was raining. People were bundled up but not many umbrellas. Linda had her rain poncho on and I used an umbrella along with a sweater, jacket, and socks. Its a nice place but they have a strange schedule - I think they are closed on Sundays, Mondays, and Tuesdays. Anyway, they were closed, so we walked over to the de Lindenhof and were served by Lana. We ate inside and it was lovely. 

We shared a bowl of pumpkin soup and then we both had a carpaccio. Linda drank her sparkling water and I treated myself to a vodka on the rocks. How nice.



I am reading Z (a novel about Zelda Fitzgerald, from our book club) to Linda. She knits and I read to her. I'm told that couples used to do this. Its nice and we both get to share the book on my Kindle. 




Therefore, we looked for a movie based on a F. Scott Fitzgerald work and found Tender is the Night on Amazon. It was made in the 60's and the story takes place in Switzerland, Italy, and the French Riveria in the 20's. Interesting, just too long.


No comments:

Post a Comment